Monday 2 January 2012

Where can I get lard in France?


I often get asked this question by my English friends and clients:

Where can I buy LARD in France? Or why can't I find LARD in France?

Lard is called SAINDOUX in French. You can find it in any supermarket in France, near the pre-packed pâtés or Rillettes (spreadable pâtés), NOT near the butter and margarine.

I have just bought some to make a pie and the pastry was really crunchy.

I have always used butter instead but lard (Saindoux) makes a nicer pastry.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks very much for the info, have been trying to buy lard for pastry for ages. Hope I can find it in Gourdon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there
    You should find it very easily in any French supermarket.
    Let us know how you get on!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete