Thursday, 5 January 2012

Taxe d’habitation… Can I get a discount?

I have been asked this question several times lately by my English clients who have a holiday home in France.

As the exchange rate is not good, they don’t come as often as they used to and wonder if they can get a discount in their Taxe d’habitation.

The answer is NO unfortunately.

The taxman has already taken into consideration that your place is a holiday home and not your main residence. At the back of your tax, it says S for ‘Secondaire’.

Do you have a television in your French holiday home? If you don’t, let the tax office know so you won’t get charged for it. It is just under €130.

It is added to the Taxe d’habitation.

If you require assistance with dealing with the tax office, please contact me here. I will be pleased to help.

1 comment:

  1. It is different if you are resident, over 60 and on a low income. If you fall into this category then call and see your local Tresor Public office, you will need to take your latest tax demand with you to confirm your income from the States point of view (not your accountants figures!)
    In my case due to poor trading figures last year - 2010- I don't have to pay any Tax d'Habitation this year.