Tuesday, 16 February 2010

Employing a registered builder in France

If you wish to employ an artisan to do some work in your cottage in France, here is a list of documents you need to ask him/her before signing a 'devis' (estimate).

  • an extract from the Register of Commerce (extrait d'inscription au registre du commerce et des sociétés),
  • a certificate of registration in the Register of Craft Trades (carte justifiant l'inscription au Répertoire des Métiers),
  • a company document (estimate, publicity) stating the company name, address and registration number.
The artisan should be able to supply you with the above documents without hesitation. If he/she finds excuses, you will know the person is not insured or registered. Find another tradesman! It will save you trouble and money!

Read my post about employing someone in the Black in France here.

No comments:

Post a comment