My neighbour gave us 2 mushrooms last week. He found them in his fields where he keeps his cows! They are ok to eat - so he said!!
They are called 'Vesse-de-loup géante' in French.
The Latin name is 'Calvatia gigantea'. They were as big as a rugby ball. A lot lighter though.
Unfortunately when we cut them they were off. The middle was yellow. We were looking forward to a mushroom omelet!! Next time!
When you move to France you might find a new hobby: Mushroom picking.
If you are unsure about eating them, you can take them to a chemist in France and they will tell you if they are ok to eat.
It is best to be safe than sorry!